In honor of National Breastfeeding Month, we at Texas Children’s want to remind lactating employees of the services we offer to help make breastfeeding and/or pumping as easy as possible. If you have additional questions, a lactation consultant can be reached at ext. 4-6120 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily, including weekends and holidays. After 5 p.m., please call ext. 4-2099 and ask to page the on-call lactation consultant. Also, you can email a consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The BFF Group meets on Fridays at 10:30 a.m. in the patient education room on the fourth floor of the Pavilion for Women. Lactation Consultant Brenda Hayden facilitates the meetings. Topics that are discussed on a recurring basis include: The BFF Group meets on Fridays at 10:30 a.m. in the patient education room on the fourth floor of the Pavilion for Women. Lactation Consultant Brenda Hayden facilitates the meetings. Topics that are discussed on a recurring basis include:
- The early weeks of breastfeeding
- Overcoming breastfeeding challenges
- Nighttime breastfeeding
- Nutrition for the breastfeeding mother
- Breastfeeding away from home
- Pumping, bottles, and breastfeeding
2. The Breastfeeding Staff Resource program began in 2016 with a mission to model and integrate quality practice at the bedside, and to promote maternal lactation and breastfeeding initiation and progression for our patients. The mission also includes providing support and resources to our breastfeeding employees across the system. The program initially included only nurses, however it has extended to all disciplines (physicians, nurse practitioners, dietitians, child life, speech therapists, respiratory therapists) and others. The program has grown to 170 members across the system, including Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, Texas Children’s Hospital’s Medical Center campus and one Texas Children’s Pediatrics practice.
3. Employees can use the Milk Bank on the fourth Floor of West Tower to pump and store their milk. Pumps are provided. There are staff pumping rooms at West Campus and in The Woodlands, as well as at our campus in the Medical Center. Check out the Lactation worksite policy/procedure and supporting documents for locations of all the pumping rooms.
4. Baby Bistro provides one-on-one consultation with an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Prenatal and postpartum outpatient visits are available by calling 832-826-8881. The Bistro is located inside Bella Luna Boutique on the third floor of the Pavilion for Women. The Bella Luna provides breast pumps for purchase or rental.